Friday June 27th
Toby and I set off for another adventure only a few short days after getting home from Germany! We were off to see some friends in Anchorage, take a train through the breathtaking Alaskan scenery and then hop a quick flight to Whitehorse for a good friend's wedding.
The line for customs was really long. It took us an hour just to get through! But we're still all smiles!

We flew over the Rocky Mountains...
Saturday June 28 - Seward Cruise.
Group shot!
... and eventually landed in Seattle. If you look closely you can see the Space Needle!
Then after a short layover we were off on our second flight. Here we are coming into Anchorage. The mountains and sea were beautiful.
On our way home from the airport we passed this small lake with a float plane airport. Rhett told us that in the summer it is the busiest airport in the world. Later that night and early the next morning I could hear the planes and I believed him.
That night we ate some delicious moose burgers with meat from a moose that Rhett killed himself. Yummy. We called it a night early since with all the travel and time change, we were wiped!
Saturday June 28 - Seward Cruise.
We were up bright an early on Saturday morning in order to drive two hours south to Seward to catch a whale watching/glacier viewing tour.
We got lucky and saw whales many times throughout the day. (It was more exciting than the pictures make it look!)
This is Rhett and Kelly, our friends and hosts who live in Anchorage.
I had a bit of camera envy. Look at the lens on that baby!
A whale!
Two whales!
Sea Lions.
I forgot to take a picture when the food was whole and pretty, but the smoked salmon was so good I had to take a picture.
One of the highlights of the cruise was getting up close to the glacier.
Group shot!
We saw some ice chunks fall.
The elusive "tail" picture.
Puffin.
The harbor after the cruise.
Toby's "cheese" face.
Traffic jam.
Salmon fishermen vying for position in this salmon rich spot.
The drive home.
Rocking out on Rock Band until 2:00 AM.
Sunday June 29th, 2008
We woke a bit later on Sunday. I think the night of rocking out might have been a bit responsible! We watched the final game of the European Soccer Championship. Germany vs. Spain. Germany lost. Sigh. Oh Germany.
In the afternoon we went to the air show at the military base.
There was a Canadian plane so we had to show our pride.
Some fancy American fighter jet thingy.
They're looking at me because I'm sitting on the ground. Just taking a break guys.
The Thunderbirds. They did some crazy formation stuff.
We got a ride to the parking lot in these buses. They reminded me of the buses that recruits ride in the movies.
That night Kelly and Rhett generously treated us to a fabulous dinner. This is the view from the restaurant. I kept waiting for the sunset. This picture was taken at 9:00 PM. It just didn't feel that late!
We enjoyed some amazing seafood. Thanks for everything Rhett and Kelly. We had a FABULOUS time! We look forward to repaying your amazing hospitality the next time you are back in Calgary.






































No comments:
Post a Comment