Last night Toby and I started German classes at the Volkshochschule. The Volkshochschule provides what we would call "continuing education" We were both curious to see what our classes would be like. We were emotionally scarred by the class we took this summer. It was a "review" class and so the pace was incredibly fast and the teacher was continually putting people on the spot. She generally gave us two milliseconds to answer and then she would say the answer for us, which kind of defeated the purpose of calling on us in the first place. Neither of us particularly enjoyed it. But things look promising for the coming semester.
I'm happy with my teacher ... so far. He speaks slowly and is really easy to understand and I think he knows pretty well what he's doing. The only thing is, he looks a lot like Jack Nicholson. Like, A LOT. I didn't notice it at first, but once he started talking, WHAM, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I have to say, it's a bit distracting.
Speaking of German, I have some homework to attend to.
Have a good weekend!
2 comments:
Wow, that Jack Nicholson thing is really bizarre... Glad to hear though that so far it looks like it will be a better experience than the last class!
I have to say that looking at your t-shirts and the pleasant fall surroundings is making me itch to check on flights to Germany. It is supposed to snow here tonight and the fall hasn't been that great in terms of weather. Maybe the good weather will still come.
Hope you guys have agreat weekend- aren't you going to Oktoberfest?
~Laura A
Hey Laura A! Don't worry, we are going to Oktoberfest next weekend! I've enjoyed speaking to the Bavarians/Austrians while setting up accommodations. Ok, enjoyed might not be the right word. The best word would be "huh?" What did you say? Can you say it again? Um... I don't know what you just said, so I will repeat my estimation of what you might have said... oh your son speaks English? Great, put him on.
Sorry to hear about the snow. Next time you feel that urge, go with it! We've always got room for one more! The weather has been great here (although the Germans are complaining that it's too cold and rainy).
Thanks again for the comments!
Post a Comment