Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Garbage Day!

Yesterday the buzzer rang unexpectedly at 7:00 PM. When I answered I heard Toby's excited voice - "It's Spermüll day on the street next to ours and I've got a haul! Come down here so we can keep looking!" I raced down the stairs two at a time at the thought of piles of abandoned objects littering the streets - and all for FREE! "It's a like a war zone out there" Toby said.

I thought he meant that people were fighting each other ardently over abandoned rubbish and was beginning to feel a bit apprehensive. Then he clarified that it only looked like a war zone. "You'll see" he said.

There was no fist fights over the garbage, but there were a lot of others cruising around searching through the mounds of unwanted and rather useless looking objects. And, it was rather hard to see the treasure amongst the trash but we did find several good, not too dirty and functioning items. Three hauls back to the apartment and we had made off with four wooden chairs (all different) a little table, two storage carts on wheels, a small bookshelf and a pair of antique telemark skis.

Here are some pics of the carnage.




I spent the day giving everything a good scrubbing. If only we had known about this two months ago!

PS If you are secretly horrified at this behaviour - the pictures make it look much worse than it was. And I think you're either a flea market/garage saler or your not. For those of you out there you understand me!

No comments: