Stuttgart - August 4, 2007
Farm fresh breakfast fixings purchased from the Saturday Market around the corner. This is one of the reasons I love living in Karlsruhe!

Here we are on he train.

Mecedes Benz Museum
I'm going nowhere fast in this thing.
Lots of fancy cars, both old and new

Here I was practicing being a tour guide.

View of the lobby from the top floor.

Pope Mobile (we think!)

Taking a break in the Schlossplatz gardens.

Sommerfest was what brought us to Stuttgart. There were several stages with different types of music and local restaurants had set up tents to serve food, beer and wine. We had fun people watching but found the crowds and noise a bit overwhelming.

Toby is making the German hand signal for "crazy" - waving your hand quickly back and forth across your eyes. No, YOU'RE crazy Toby!

Rappenwört Outdoor Pool - Sunday August 5, 2007
With another hot day on our hands, Toby and I decided to go for a bike ride and then for a swim at the outdoor pool on the Rhine river. I had hoped to ride along the river but we discovered once we were there that the trees blocked our view of the river! But we still enjoyed relaxing at the mega complex of Rappenwört (3 pools, lots of grassy space to spread out a blanket, a restaurant, mini-golf, snackbar, volleyball courts, table tennis and, brilliantly, a small library stocked with beach reads and kids books).
Taking your bike on the tram isn't always fun, is it Toby?
Rhine river.
On Sundays we ride our bikes on the tram lines...when there is no tram coming of course!

Heidelberg - Saturday August 11, 2007
Cool sculpture outside the train station near the UN-friendly tourist information. Oops... did I say that out loud?

I am a liiiiitttttlle unsure of where we are/where we are going.

I smelled this Lush store coming from about a block away. Literally.

Heidelberg Schloss

Toby and I were goofing off taking this picture when little did we know...

... sitting on the next bench over were some old friends Saverio and Joanna. Luckily Sav recognized me and said hello! Unfortunately they were on their last day of a month-long vacation in Europe so we weren't able to make plans to meet up again. But it was great catching up with them in the shadow of the Schloss! I think they win the prize for most km's traveled in a European rental car (8000). Safe travels Sav and Joanna!

Their adorable daughter Sophia had everyone in the plaza enthralled.

This picture was taken from the Karl-Theodor-Brücke with the Altstadt in the foreground and the Schloss in looming above.

Stopping for a little refreshment.

A chair made entirely out of corks!

We had a wonderful dinner here at "Havana".

Mmmm... Cuban food.

Sunset as we headed back to the train station. What a great day!

Karlsruhe - Sunday August 12
Toby and I decided that had better spend some time exploring our own city too, so we spend the afternoon cruising around on our bikes. It was gorgeous and there are so few cars out on Sundays so we had the roads to ourselves. Just a lot of people out enjoying the nice weather on a patio!
A crazy sculpture outside the Staatstheatre where they show ballet/theatre performances.

Kaffee und Kuchen.

Mural sighting.

Enormous playground near the University. We noticed that the fun yet dangerous school of design is still alive and well on the German playground scene...

Our beloved Schloss.

Dinner in the Schloss gardens. I'm a lucky girl.

No comments:
Post a Comment