Saturday, January 5, 2008

Happy New Year!


Happy New Year everyone! I hope everyone was able to celebrate the start of a new year in their favorite way. We were in Berlin for the big day and they sure know how to ring in the new year with a bang. Despite my phobia of fireworks I managed to really enjoy myself... but more on that to come.

We arrived home from a full week in Berlin late last night. It was the first time after being away from Karlsruhe that I didn't mistakenly and subconsciously think that I was going "home" to Canada after the trip. I think the packing and airports jogs a part of my brain that thinks that this time in Kalrsruhe has been one long vacation. I guess it's finally sinking in that Karlsruhe is home, at least for now.

It was a bit bittersweet coming home to the apartment, which was still in a state of slight chaos from the Christmas festivities and from having my family here, snuggling up in our close quarters. We had a wonderful visit with my mom, dad, Laura and Grant. We want to thank my parents for their generosity in all the treats they brought from home and for treating us to so many dinners out and for the trip to Paris.

I wouldn't say that I was lonely before they came, but I was feeling a sense of losing my sense of myself, of who I was. There is nothing like spending time with close loved ones to remind you of who you are and the kind of person you want to be.

I'm feeling really optimistic about the coming year, and extremely grateful for all of the blessings in my life: the opportunity to be here in Germany, my generous and supportive family and friends and of course my wonderful husband who has put up with a lot from me these past six months. I am so lucky and blessed.

More pictures from Berlin to come in the next few days.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!!! Happy New Year to both of you! Ich wunche euch eine sehr gutes neues jahr im 2008. Prost!
:)
Laura Aggarwal