Editors note: Kelly sent this to me a few days ago and I am late posting it. Thanks for your perspective on Germany Kelly!
When I was in Germany in September visiting Bridget and Toby, Bridget suggested that I post something on her fantastic blog. I didn't manage to squeeze it in while I was there but here it is, a month or so late.
What I LOVED about Germany:
1. Bridget and Toby - Bridget and Toby are clearly the best Germany has to offer. They are fantastic friends and amazing hosts. Bridget planned several wonderful days trips and made fantastic meals (Maultauschen anyone?). She also convinced me to experience the naked spa twice, I highly recommend it. Toby mastered the Autobahn and made sure we had a great time at Oktoberfest. Toby also introduced me to Jericho and the Decemberists. My favourite part of my German vacation was spending time with my friends and seeing the fabulous life they have together. I hope we can do it all again next year.
2. Bikes, Trams, Trains, and Funiculars - I love that you can get around the City and the Country without a car. While in Heidelberg I fell in love with a Euro-bike I saw in a store window. I plan on getting one, complete with basket, and riding around Edmonton during our three months of nice weather.
3. Ohhhhh, The Weather - Bridget has mentioned this already but Germany has this wonderful thing called Fall! It's when the leaves turn colour but it's still lovely and sunny out. We spent many fine fall days biking, going to the zoo, and sitting in outdoor cafes, enjoying the ultra-relaxed German lifestyle.
4. Ice Cream Cones and the Flower Market - You can get flowers and ice cream everywhere and cheap! It seems that ice cream and flowers are necessities in Germany.
5. The German People - They stare, they budge, customer service doesn't exist.....but I liked them. They gave us seats at their table at Oktoberfest, help me find the right train when I got on the wrong one, spoke English when it was quite clear I didn't speak a word of German, and were somehow warm through the proper exterior. So thanks again to Bridget and Toby for an amazing German experience. See you soon, Germany!
No comments:
Post a Comment