Thursday, November 29, 2007

Photo Inspiration: Running from Camera

I have also been inspired lately by a blog called Running from Camera. A man who goes by "muggezifter" and who is possibly Dutch (since most of the pictures take place in Rotterdam) puts the camera self-timer on two seconds and sees how far he can get from the camera.

Like Simply Breakfast, there is a beauty and simplicity in the repetition. These people have found their "thing" and they're doing it so well. I wish I could find a "thing" to call my own. For now, I'm going to copy other people's great ideas until I find my own. So here is my take on the concept if "running from the camera".

Here is my 2 second shot:


Obviously not enough time. So then I tried 10 seconds:


Hmmmm... possibly too long. Then I tried 5 seconds:


Now that looks juuuuuuuust right. I took quite a few and they all looked just as awkward and unflattering as this one.

Then I thought, how can I personalize this? How about running towards the camera?


Yah, definitely more fun. and what about running across the frame?


Definitely harder to get the timing right, but also fun. And finally, jumping in front of the camera.


Yes, now I'm on to something! It looks like I'm floating up into the sky. Or maybe being abducted by aliens!

So there you go. Another fun and inspiring way to take pictures (and sneak in a little exercise too).

Toby and I are off to Amsterdam this weekend (which is where some of the pictures on Running From Camera were taken). Perhaps we can take some fun shots while we are there.

No comments: