I recently came across this site: Simply Breakfast, by Jennifer Causey.


It contains gorgeous photos of ... well ... breakfasts. The pictures are beautiful and will make you hungry for breakfast no matter what time of day it is. You may even be inspired to eat more varied and healthier breakfasts. Take a look. I especially love the beauty and simplicity in the repetition and found myself wanting more, more, more.
And, since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I thought I'd give it a try too.
Here are my results.





What do you think? Not bad. Not as good as hers, but definitely a worthwhile exercise. It made me really look at my food. It helped me see the beauty in everyday objects and the unlimited opportunities I have to inject my life with more beauty with simple things, like the food I eat. You can be sure, my presentation isn't always as nice as it was in these photos, but when I put some thought into the presentation, I realized that part of my enjoyment of food comes from how it looks. And that I can exercise my creative muscles by giving a few seconds thought to how my food looks and it makes healthy food much less boring.
Finally, I discovered that it is a personal thing to share what you eat for breakfast with the world. I can't imagine what it would be like to do it every day. I would definitely eat better if I knew someone was watching.
Oh, and I learned that putting pomegranate seeds in yogurt is a brilliant idea! You should try it. Today.
Doing this little challenge also reminded me of another project I had heard of where a man took a picture of everything he ate for a year. My cursory internet search didn't come up with a blog, but I did find this book:
Everything I Ate: A Year in the Life of My Mouth

If I was in Calgary I would be looking this up at the library immediately. I want to see what he learned. I am fascinated by these projects that people complete. It requires such tenacity. I would probably do it for two days and then forget to take a picture on the third day and think, well, there you go, it's ruined. Oh well, moving on...
If I did have the will power to complete a project like this I think it would be fascinating and enlightening to be able to look back over a whole year of meals. It would certainly bring to light certain patterns and eating habits. If I did it honestly, I would probably be horrified by the amount of chocolate I eat.
So treat yourself to a nice breakfast sometime soon. Here's a great pancake recipe that Toby and I really enjoyed from Eat, Shrink and Be Merry by Greta and Janet Podleski. Hopefully they turn out picture perfect for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment