Wow. Where has the time gone? I can't believe how fast the time is going by. We've been pretty busy lately - lots of traveling and guests - which as been wonderful. Hopefully I will be able to squeeze in some time to catch up, but don't get your hopes up. We are currently entertaining our first "two timer" Kelly who is back for more fun Karlsruhe action. Then my friends Andy and Michelle will be arriving for bike rides, cake and of course the naked spa. When will I have time to blog?
Saturday April 19, 2008
Waiting for our flight.

The old town in Poland is very compact and historic. Our first glance at the main market square - WOW!
In pictures the rain looks pretty and romantic. In real life, it's kinda cold and wet.
Sunday April 20, 2008
Starting the day out in a cool cafe.
One of my fillings fell out that morning so this straw became my new best friend.
Brushing up on my Polish.
One of my fillings fell out that morning so this straw became my new best friend.
This church was called St. Francis's Church (I think) and it was right across the street from Pope John Paul's residence when he stayed in Poland.
The stained glass windows by Stanislaw Wyspianski's were verrrry cool.
I'm sitting right beside the spot where Pope JP liked to pray when he was in Krakow.
Art installation outside the church.
The street near the church had a long display, mostly in Polish, which seemed to compare/contrast the old Pope and the new Pope. I should mention that the Polish people feel a great sense of pride and admiration for the Polish Pope. They LOVED him. So I couldn't help but wonder what the display board was about. Was it to try to win the Polish people over to the new Pope? I'm not sure, but I did think that some of the pictures had subtle overtones which would suggest a bit of competition between the two holy pontiffs.
For example:
Loving embrace or death grip?
When the Pope was in town he would stand at this window and chat with the people below for hours, even when he was tired. I thought that was so awesome. What a down to earth guy. Although, seeing this picture in the window when we walked by the first time at about 9:00 PM I did have a bit of a start.
Apparently the cathedral had bits and pieces added on over the years so it's a bit hodge podge but also unique.
This was the best shot we got of me doing a "jumping" picture. In none of the pictures were my feet off the ground (I blame the photographer).
The inner courtyard of the castle. Apparently there is an earth chakra point on Wawel hill. We didn't see anyone meditating and try as we might we couldn't feel the energy. We did notice some annoying, high pitched, headache inducing noises coming from the area where the chakra is supposed to be. Either it was a coincidence or the staff at the castle are trying to keep people away.
Fire breathing dragon statue.
Another shot of the castle.
"Here you are" is so much better than "You are here".
Supposedly the oldest street in Krakow.
Free beer man.
The courtyard of our great little hotel. It was called Globtroter.


Monday April 21, 2008
The next day we were up bright and early to make the trip out to Auschwitz. The breakfast was simply amazing.
Toby likey.
Auschwitz was about an hour and a half away by bus. We chose to go on a guided tour which ended up being a really good decision. Our tour guide was extremely knowledgeable, professional and sombre.
Being at the concentration camp was overwhelmingly sad. It was SO overwhelming in fact that you sort of became numb to it all. Our guide would explain one horrific thing after another about the brutal efficiency, terrible suffering, the inhumanity of it all. I thought that the camp would somehow have an aura of sadness hanging over it from the souls of all the people who perished here, but was surprised at the peacefulness, the soft breeze, the budding trees. On one hand it felt somehow wrong, but on the other, it felt as if nature was bringing healing and peace back to this place where such terrible things were done.


We didn't take many pictures. Here are a few to give you an idea of what the camp looks like now.
A memorial and grave marker for the millions who died and whose ashes were buried here. This memorial is near the rubble of two of the furnaces.
Once we got back from Auschwitz we only really had time to eat some dinner. The restaurant we chose had traditional Polish food. I enjoyed my cabbage rolls and Toby devoured his fish. The complimentary bread with a lard spread didn't go over quite as well.
Overall we really enjoyed Krakow. The people were friendly and helpful. Many people spoke English (at least the one's who had to deal with tourists). In nicer weather it would be a great city to just hang out in, enjoying the wonderful ambiance. I highly recommend a trip to Poland!












































No comments:
Post a Comment