Wednesday, May 28, 2008

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming...

I'm still working on getting us all caught up on the adventures and visitors that Toby and I have been lucky enough to have in the last few weeks to share a few random points:

- I think I'm finally getting a handle on what the word "humid" might mean.  Not something one experiences that often in Calgary.  Something is just WRONG to me when it is hot but not sunny.  What's with that?  I think I might also finally really understand the words muggy, steamy, sweaty, sticky, damp, sweltering ... well, I think you get the picture.  The forecast says it's supposed to get worse.  On the other hand it makes my hair curlier, so that's a bonus.

A desperate attempt to cool down:



- The great disassemble-ment of our lives in Germany has begun.  It started last night with the Mandel bed.  I don't know if you remember the great assembling of the Madel bed: The most challenging IKEA item we have ever put together.  So, it was a bit sad taking it all apart again.  We'll be doing a repeat performance once we get home I guess. Maybe we can beat our original time?

The mattress is already gone and the drawers already disassembled.


Here we go...


This looks familiar.  The difficult maneuver but in reverse.


The last piece!


Our reward:  The Swedish pear cider that Grant brought me at Christmas.  Mmmmmm... I've been saving that sucker for a long time and it was the perfect momentary relief from the  heat. 


The movers are coming next Wednesday to pack up our shipment, which will include most of the furniture we bought here.  Yah!  It only took Toby 600 emails, phone calls and conversations with all of the GE relocation contractors to make it happen, but hey, we'll have a couch when we get home so it will all be worth it.

- Today I rode with Toby to his work.  It's a ten kilometer ride through the woods on a straight, paved path.  You can't ask for a better biking route to work!  



- Since we're on the "before and after" theme, here is a before and after picture I took yesterday.  The first picture was taken on June 6th, only five days after we arrived!  Oh so much has happened in the time between these pictures!


- I hope to keep posting fairly regularly and perhaps try to wrap things up here with a few posts that sum up our experiences here and some "theme" posts I've been meaning to write for a long time.  The time is really whizzing by quickly though, so wish me luck!  Now... what can I disassemble next?

No comments: