Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Karlsruhe Public Library

I've been intending to write this post for a long time (as you can tell from the length of my hair in the pictures, a loooong time) about one of my favorite places... the library!   The library was also one of my favorite places in Calgary too and that didn't change when I moved here.  (It's the grey brick building with the round corner).



I have found many treasures at this library, including the entire seven-season series of Star Trek: The Next Generation.  If I wasn't the type of person to be so wholly in love with it, I may be the type of person to have enough social sense not to publicly admit to being a fan.  But I'm not that other type.  I luuuurve it.  And I want the world to know. 

Other than Star Trek TNG (yes, that's what "we" Star Trek lovers call it) I have also enjoyed books in German, books in English, a cooking DVD from the German "Jaimie Oliver" called Tim Mählzer, a cooking DVD from the REAL Jaimie Oliver, cycling maps, city maps, magazines and movies. I also attended a used book sale here and found that I'm just as uncontrollable as I am at home (I dragged home 20 old magazines and four hardcover gardening books).

Can you tell I love the library!

View from the second floor. 



Some of the differences I encountered:

- The fee was 15 euros or $22.50 CAN per year. I believe in Calgary it's around 12 dollars.

- To use the internet one must get a computer generated password from a staff member which gets you 30 minutes of internet time.  If you want more you need to get another password. In Calgary most people don't think two hours is enough, so that's interesting.  Although I must say there are a lot of cheap internet cafes in Karlsruhe and you don't need a card in Germany to use the internet for free.

- One must stow one's bag (of any size) in a locker while visiting the library.  I can't imagine the chaos this would create at the central branch in Calgary, but it could be the way we're heading.  I hope not, because it's supremely annoying to have to find a dollar coin and lock up my bag, especially if I know I'm just there to check quickly for Season 7, Disc 4 of Star Trek: TNG!


- The book return is done by automation. Here is a series of photos to illustrate:

1. Scan your library card and the plexiglass window opens.


2. Place items (excitedly, apparently, if you're me in this photo) onto the conveyor belt and wait for the RFID scanner to read the item.


3. The back pannel lifts up and the item is whisked away on the conveyor belt. Repeat.


Of course this seems like a great technological breakthrough that would reduce the workload on staff who have the tedious job of scanning books back into the system. That may be true, but unfortunately the silly machine breaks down so often that there is more likely than not a frustrated line of people and the staff have to manually check items in anyway, only the atmosphere is more tense. 

Bringing them to the desk is always an option too, but the customer service attitude rivals even that of Deustche Bahn employees, which means, it's bad.  Seriously bad.

- But the automation doesn't stop there!  Books are checked out automatically too:

1. Lay materials in between the two arrows. Wait for the computer to recognize them...


2 ... and wait, and wait and wait.
3. Realize that the computer is refusing to acknowledge one of your items (usually the one you're most excited about, like the elusive Season 7, Disc 4 of Star Trek: TNG).
4. Jostle items around in the vain attempt that the machine recognizes everything.
5. REMOVE all items from between the red arrows and try again. Perhaps it will work properly the second time.
6. Repeat (if your feeling patient that day)
7a. Remove items from the counter, walk over to the desk, have a surly human being check out your items.

7b. If the machine is having a good day, swipe your card over the reader and you're off!



So, I assume this is the direction we're moving in Canada as well, in terms of replacing human beings with machines.  I guess I have mixed feelings.  Yes, it is more cost effective, and perhaps faster for the customer to do the self-checkout, but what about the human connection?  Sometimes that is what people coming to the library want most of all?  I know I did as a scared, displaced, friendless, "immigrant".   And I shouldn't be totally unfair to the staff at the library, because there was one very nice woman who was extremely kind to me on one of my first visits.  She even helped me figure out how to un-order something over the phone, which was TOTALLY not her job, she was just being kind to me since she sensed I was new and lost and confused and agitated.  So, overall I'm in favor or MORE (friendly) staff members over machines.  Friendly staff members like me colleagues at the downtown branch of the Calgary Public Library, third floor. (Hi!)  You guys are unquestionably awesome!


And finally this is my favorite view, looking OUT of the library at the bank next door.  This is the view I see while choosing my DVDs so you know I see it a lot!


Ah... the library.  What would I have done this year in Germany without you?    And thanks to you, for coming on this virtual tour with me!

No comments: