Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Konstanz - Part 2

Friday May 23, 2008 (Continued)

So, carrying on from the last post.  After taking in the beautiful views from the Cathedral in K
onstanz we decided to ride out to one of the two famous islands in the lake.  We chose the island of Reichenau because it isn't really and island, but has a small land bridge and we could ride our bikes all the way there.

The ride wasn't nearly as scenic as we had hoped and assumed it would be.  We ended up riding through an industrial area to get there.  But once we got onto the land bridge it was a beautiful ride.  

Here we are at the first town on the island (there are three but don't ask me what they're called) where we stopped for an ice cream break.  Andrea was impressed with this biking family.  Notice the special bike carrier for their small dog!  Germans are definitely waaaay ahead of us when it comes to the acceptance and practice of biking. 



Here's a little video we took my accident when I was trying to take a picture.  Notice how near the end Toby is subtly trying to get out of the frame.  It's as if he's thinking, "oh crap, a video?  I didn't sign on for this. Do I have to stand here? Man my ice cream looks good.  I think I'll take a bite.  I'm getting out of here.  I just want to eat my ice cream."



By the time I was actually able to take the picture he wanted no part of it.  To busy!  Ice cream!


We didn't really have a plan for our trip around the island so we just started riding. As Michelle said in the video, this is the "fruit and vegetable" island of Konstanz (the other one is the "flower" island) and we saw fields of kohlrabi, cauliflower and cabbages and greenhouses full of tomatoes.


At one of the high-points of the island, overlooking the grape vines and lake.  I wonder what it would be like to do the 100 Mile Diet on this island?  Yum.


After a brief ride around the island we realized that the last ferry was leaving soon and we didn't really want to ride back through the industrial area, so we zoomed off to the ferry dock just in time to catch the boat.


What a gorgeous warm evening.  Now this is the boat ride I was hoping for!


The Swiss men who operated this ferry were so friendly and kind.  A refreshing contrast to the grumpy German who sold us our tickets.



On "our" side of the lake now, only a few kilometers from the hotel.



We had an absolutely lovely ride through the hazy, evening light back to Tägerwilen.





Here's our hotel, Gasthaus Linde.  That evening after our ride we went to a pub called "Louisianna" for dinner. Toby had a burger -- probably his second or third since we moved here -- and boy did he enjoy it!  


Saturday May 24, 2008

We packed up our things and prepared to make the ride into town.  This church was across the street from our hotel.


Andy took these pictures.  What a beautiful graveyard.  


Here we are loaded down with all our stuff.  



And we're off!


Here we are passing through the un-manned boarder crossing.


Back to our favorite spot for a few more photo ops.








We enjoyed just sitting and watching the swans.  Toby decided to start feeding them some of our Maxi Mix and he started a bird feeding frenzy extravaganza!  I know I should feel bad about feeding the birds junk food but it was so interesting watching them all fighting over it.




We wanted to get back to Karlsruhe at a decent hour so we hopped on the train around 1:00.


Andy and Michelle went off to explore Karlsruhe a bit more while I recuperated at home (where do they get all that energy?).  While they were in Marktplatz there was an event of some kind with a band.  They particularly enjoyed this man's dance moves. I think you will too...



After dinner we headed to an ice cream parlor so that Andy and Michelle could try "spaghetti eis" which is a delicious ice cream creation.


What a great long weekend!  Only one day left before Michelle and Andy have to go home. (Boo!).   Stay tuned...

No comments: